Thursday, November 15, 2012

What's this ten-year-old doing in my M-rated game?



Over the past week or two, there have been some heated debates recently about children (and young teenagers) playing M-rated games. This is most likely due to the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and the realization of how many young children and adolescents were waiting in line at the midnight release. The arguments go back and forth—some with valid points while some are quite idiotic and stubborn—but there is really only one justifiable response to this topic.

You can shout out the ESRB ratings, the warped minds of young ones, and morality all you want; what this simply comes down to is the parent/guardian. He or she is the only one who can decide what their child plays; not you, me or anyone else with an opinion. This isn’t ideal when you notice a twelve-year-old child receiving a copy of Battlefield 3 (and it may make you want to yell “Get your kid out of my M-rated game”), but there is nothing you can do.

The ESRB ratings, while being statutes for employees, are simply guidelines for the buyer; which in this case is the parent, guardian or respective adult. The majority of electronic employees won’t sell M-rated games to children. I mean, I’m still asked for identification at times. Nevertheless, if an adult is there with the child it’s completely up to him or her. If a father or mother feel their offspring can handle slicing and dicing human enemies in MadWorld, that’s their decision. Is it right? Who knows? The parent or guardian may not have the slightest clue on how to raise these children, or care what game they “play on their Xbox” even if they own a Playstation 3 (apparently everything is played on an Xbox to those who don’t know much about video games). If that is the case, then the fault is shoddy parenting.

Then again, who knows how mature this child or teenager is. Maybe his or her parents/guardians have taught them more than you could imagine a “youngin” to know and feels they are mature enough to play these games. I know this explanation is very unlikely but I’ve seen rarer things happen.

As much as I dislike seeing immature children and teenagers in online multiplayer lobbies, I remember that I used to play M-rated games when I was younger. I also watched R-rated movies and read H.P. Lovecraft horror stories, but I like to think I turned out alright. Yet, I was only able to do those things because my parents felt I was mature enough to play, watch or read them. If I wasn’t, they simply took it away from me. I still remember the day I rented Mortal Kombat 4 and my mother ripped it out of the N64 when she saw my character rip out someone’s spine.

If you disagree with the idea of this, then there is only one thing to do and it starts with you. Whether you are a parent, guardian, soon-to-be either, or hope to have a family some day in the future you decide what your child plays. Your decisions and knowledge can influence other parents along with your own offspring when they get older. Employees must also be there to help out by giving as much information as they possibly can to the prospective buyer.

However, decent parents know what is right for their children; and hopefully, they fully research the product they are about to purchase for their kids. Either way, they are the only ones who can tell their ten-year-old child if they can or cannot wait in line to get the new Call of Duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment