Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Where is Supernatural: The Video Game?

I must be honest with you right now; I never did watch Supernatural when it first aired. It actually wasn’t until the end of the fifth season when I started the pilot episode. Even so, after those 42 minutes, I was immediately hooked.

Having been a fan of almost anything even remotely related to science fiction, fantasy and horror this show was too perfect for me. Seeing two badass brothers travel around the country and hunt demons, monsters and the like is incredibly entertaining. Plus, the tidbits of comedic relief really add to the characters’ development over the many episodes.

After plowing through each season (and continuing my viewing of the show weekly), I even purchased Supernatural: The Anime. Why? Because I enjoy watching anime and I enjoy watching Supernatural, and for the first time ever they were combined. However, I did lose a little respect for Jensen Ackles since he only voiced his character for the final two episodes whereas Jared Padalecki (who gained a lot of respect from me) voiced every one.

Regardless, Supernatural has been turned into many different forms of entertainment; but there is one form that is missing. Where is the Supernatural video game?! With all the content and lore provided from the television show, graphic novels, anime and novels, I am completely shocked that no company has attempted creating a video game based on this property.

Supernatural___The_Video_Game_by_smileybeat
Before I continue, I must warn you that I will make comparisons to other popular games. I understand that licensed games do not always fare well on the market, but I believe that if a developer takes the best parts from certain games they could have gold on their hands.

Now that I got that out of the way, imagine it now: you travel from city to city as the Winchesters, research the creature you’re hunting, switch between Dean and Sam (or incorporating some type of cooperative play) to learn as much they can and then finally vanquishing the monster from existence with the tools required!

Of course, fans of the show wouldn’t be the only interested party. While controlling the actions of the Winchesters may tickle many people’s fancy, who doesn’t enjoy taking out vampires, zombies and other creatures of the night?

To grant some freedom to the developer, another option could be the ability to create our own hunter (if done correctly). Let’s say the developers follow the route of Mass Effect, where players create their hunter but he or she is also given a voice to interact with others (maybe even the Winchesters). It could even further by giving players dialogue trees when questioning the locals about whatever gruesome scene or disappearance the hunter is investigating. And trust me; investigation needs to be an important part of gameplay.

Besides questioning people, and trying to get the right information out of them, the hunter needs to find clues. It’s the only way Sam and Dean ever find out what they’re actually going after. A system in the vein of L.A. Noire would work perfectly. There could be clues littered throughout multiple locations, and the hunter would have to examine them to discover their significance.

LA-Noire_screenshot_365
After finding the enough clues, the hunter would then have to check his journal and use it to decipher what creature was terrorizing the locals.

However, it would need to be difficult. That way, there is a feeling of accomplishment when you unravel the mystery. Unlike the show, the video game would not be restricted to 42 minutes. This gives developers a chance to really flesh out the case at hand and take risks the show cannot.

When it comes to combat, I feel Sleeping Dogs would give the best influence. Why? Because the game features exciting melee combat with a variety of weapons while also boasting competent third-person shooting gameplay.

NorthPointImage1
The Winchesters utilize hand-to-hand combat and all sorts of weapons, including guns, to hunt evil. While not all of them would work against each monstrosity, this variety in gameplay would add greatly to replay value. Also, trying to figure out what course of action will actually work against the enemy as it tosses the hunter around the room could be extremely satisfying.

Now, since all the action could not take place in one city (unless there’s a good reason to) I believe separate, open world locations would be perfect. They do not need to be vast landscapes, just large enough to invite exploration and a change of scenery. There also should be enough room to drive the ’67 Chevy Impala; every Supernatural fan’s dream.

Dean-Winchester-with-Chevrolet-Impala-1967-supernatural-31507862-1450-963
I understand this read may seem like a roller coaster as I jump from point to point, and it may not particularly specific, but I simply wanted to state how good a Supernatural video game could be. With all of these options it really makes me wonder why we haven’t seen one surface yet.

If anyone could do it, it would be Rockstar; but I cannot see such a high profile company spending resources on a licensed game. Another completely capable company would be United Front Games, the developer of Sleeping Dogs. I mean, they even showed their interest in the supernatural with the Nightmare in North Point DLC.

If anyone is out there reading this that has any type of power to set this thing in motion, do it! I want it, the fans want it and if done correctly the game could be gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment