Thursday, May 3, 2012

Scariest Moments in Gaming (For Me, At Least) Part Five

2. Coming out of the closet – Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I apologize for the long wait, but here is Part Five of this segment.



In any decent horror game, hiding is always the first option one should choose (the next being to run away and the last being to fight). In Amnesia: The Dark Descent, hiding was paramount. With no possible way to stand toe-to-toe with your attackers, fleeing the scene in hopes of finding a secure hiding place is the player’s only hope of survival. This is a lesson players will learn quickly when they encounter their first enemy and try to flee while screaming in fear of getting torn to bits by some disfigured creature (check out some Amnesia reactions on Youtube; they’re hilarious).

While there were many times I was frightened by enemies in different games, Amnesia held a certain charm throughout the terrifying adventure. Maybe it was because I could not combat pursuing monsters and I felt completely vulnerable as I searched the halls of the castle; or maybe it was the dark atmosphere and creaking noises that kept me on my toes; or maybe it was the joy I felt every time I found a tinderbox (yay!). Whatever it was exactly, I finished the game with a smirk and thought, “That was a great experience.”

The most memorable, yet frightening, moment in this game (for me) was during a moment of complacency. Before I continue, I must ask: Have you ever (many of you probably have) fallen into that mode of carelessness after you complete the same deed over and over again? At first, you commit the act attentively, and then, gradually, become casual about it because not much changes. This is extremely relevant in video games that don’t offer enough variety. Well, I was beginning to follow this example because I thought I was skilled at avoiding the hostile beings roaming the halls. Boy, was I wrong. After turning a corner, I saw an enemy evolve from the darkness causing me to turn quickly run into the adjacent room to hide. Hearing the monster’s screams, I knew it had saw me run across the hallway.



I immediately searched the room for a safe haven and located a closet to my left. Quickly stepping inside and shutting the door, I heard my stalker enter the room. The slowly shuffling steps and soft grunts forced me to wait patiently inside the closet; but I wasn’t worried. “I’ve done this before and I can do it again,” was the thought that ran through my mind. After a moment or two, the steps and grunts fell silent. Finally, I could continue my journey.

As I opened the door to exit the closet my screen flashed red as a claw mark ran across my view. My voice cracked as I let out a high pitch scream (rarely, and I mean rarely, do I ever scream while playing a horror video game). The creature had positioned itself to the right of the closet door just out of my line of sight. I attempted to scurry away to safety but it was to no avail. The monster was hot on my trail and cut me down without remorse.

Ten minutes later my heart still pumped hard enough to hit the walls of my chest. I am still not sure if that was great AI design, or a once in a life time fluke; but it completely changed my impression of these intelligent adversaries. Never again did I fall into that state of complacency during my trek through Amnesia as that moment made a significant mark in gaming career.

Closing comments

I know, I know. How dare I make you wait longer for the number one entry? But I promise it will be up by Saturday along with another article I've been working on. That one will be closely related to this segment as it focuses on the horror genre. After that however, I will be gone for two weeks on military orders so another absence is inevitable. Still, when I come back I will do so with a vengeance! Not only will I increase my article writing, but I will also be posting videos on the blog. Yay! I've finally been able to purchase really nice recording hardware/software and I can't wait to try it out. I will be posting a couple tests first to make sure I know how to use it correctly to deliver quality videos. But I digress. As always, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment